Sex linked gender in pigeons

General discussion about pigeon genetics
Kiwikid

Sex linked gender in pigeons

Post by Kiwikid »

In humans the male decides the gender in off spring .. what is it for pigeons ??
AdamArcher
Site Admin

Re: Sex linked gender in pigeons

Post by AdamArcher »

I've been meaning to write an article on this for a while, but who knows when I'll get around to it!

Humans use XY sex determination. Males have an X and a Y chromosome, whereas females only have XX. So when you say the male "decides" the sex of the child, that is kind of correct. If the child inherits a Y from the father it is a male, an X it is a female.

Pigeons are different, they use ZW sex determination. Cocks this time have the two copies of the same chromosome (ZZ) whereas hens have the different set (ZW). So this time the sex of the child depends on which chromosome it inherits from the mother.

I will get around to writing a more detailed article one day, when I do I'll link it here!
VanDerBash

Re: Sex linked gender in pigeons

Post by VanDerBash »

God bless your ink Adam. There were these squabs I posted a while ago on this site and u commented that "the brown spread is going to be a hen" and as of today that was what happened. The black Lahore turned out to be a cock while the brown spread is a hen. I am amazed by your ability to tell their sex right from the time they were squabs. I tried to follow all ur videos on YouTube and comments on here to be able to understand how u did that. But to no fruition..