Post your whites here

Show off your pigeons here!
blackbun

Post your whites here

Post by blackbun »

I know from one of Adams’s YouTube videos that white hides so much information and not all whites have bull eyes. But here’s a handsome bird. Cock American show racer. I’ve only ever seen white birds with dark eyes is there some sort of genetic linkage there?
Attachments
42B5A369-D16C-4278-8967-132D77E0B599.jpeg
AdamArcher
Site Admin

Re: Post your whites here

Post by AdamArcher »

Recessive white is one of the most common genes behind a white phenotype, and it also causes dark eyes. Another way to create white is to use grizzle.

Grizzle strips out a lot of the colour in the feather but doesn't impact the eyes. Homozygous grizzle, plus ash red makes the bird almost entirely white... add spread, or dilute, or pied, and you have a white bird with coloured eyes.
HomeSweetHome

Post by HomeSweetHome »

I have a white hen with some red flecks who has one bull eye and one pearl eye. Pics tomorrow.
AdamArcher
Site Admin

Post by AdamArcher »

HomeSweetHome wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:14 pm I have a white hen with some red flecks who has one bull eye and one pearl eye. Pics tomorrow.
Genetically she is probably a pied ash red grizzle.
blackbun

Post by blackbun »

Hi Adam, is there an hierarchical order of named genotypes/phenotypes to be referred to when describing a bird? In the above example could it be ash red, pied grizzle? Does it matter? Thank you.
AdamArcher
Site Admin

Post by AdamArcher »

blackbun wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:30 pm Hi Adam, is there an hierarchical order of named genotypes/phenotypes to be referred to when describing a bird? In the above example could it be ash red, pied grizzle? Does it matter? Thank you.
No, no set order. I "try" to start with the base colour and pattern most times, but in general I just say whatever sounds most natural.
3DLOFT

Post by 3DLOFT »

Recessive white.
Attachments
GBH
GBH
027350FF-01CD-4BB4-B953-7DCFAD625F67.jpeg