Names/Genetic makeup of this pair

Post pictures of birds you need identified here!
SJG

Names/Genetic makeup of this pair

Post by SJG »

Wondering if anyone could suggest what colors/pattern/modifiers are in these two birds? Especially the gold bar hen in the second picture. Last picture is their latest round of youngsters.

Any suggestions of what these colors are all called is helpful too-I’m fairly new to the genetics side of pigeons.

68C94671-B8CF-4908-90BB-E78F317B29DE.jpeg
BC182727-F43B-45CA-8FC3-3D30801714E7.jpeg
86014AE9-08D0-489A-AB29-C6F1AC77B155.jpeg
Steven G
AdamArcher
Site Admin

Re: Names/Genetic makeup of this pair

Post by AdamArcher »

Dominant opal saddles, I believe.
SJG

Post by SJG »

I'll have to look more into Dominant Opal and it's phenotypes. Would these both be dominant opal even though the cock is much lighter?
Any ideas what makes the unique (to me) coloring of the bars on the hen? It was referred to as a gold bar by someone who looked at this same picture, but I'm not sure on that.

Also, I assume at least one of these must be Ash red but hidden by the opal and both must be carrying dilute to get the yellow bar baby in the front of the last picture? (Or the cock has dilute and the yellow bar is a hen, but I have two of these young so far and at least one of them seems to be a cock)
Or am I off base in thinking that youngster is a dilute ash red bar?
Steven G
octavian

Post by octavian »

Father seems ash red Dominant opal Saddle, and the chcks seem dilute ash red...with or without opal
octavian

Post by octavian »

Father seems ash red Dominant opal Saddle, and the chcks seem dilute ash red...with or without opal