Opal?

Post pictures of birds you need identified here!
jmarley3

Opal?

Post by jmarley3 »

I know these aren't the best pics. These are some birds I've got coming to me this week. Was curious what color they are? I can get better pics when they show up I guess.
7285.jpeg
7280.jpeg
7287.jpeg
AdamArcher
Site Admin

Re: Opal?

Post by AdamArcher »

First and last appear to be dominant opal in combination with other modifiers, middle is a black tiger grizzle.
jmarley3

Post by jmarley3 »

Ok thanks. So if I pair the tiger grizzle with a blue checker I have Do I get more tiger grizzle? Or do I need to pair it with a black bird that I have? Also the dominant opal birds should not be paired together right? And what interesting colors can be had by using the opal birds? Sorry so many questions. I'm hoping to figure out this stuff someday. The opals came from Mike Tysons loft so that's kind of cool. Anyways thanks
AdamArcher
Site Admin

Post by AdamArcher »

You can pair the tiger to the check if you like: https://youtu.be/F03zghgHJlc

As for the opals, it's a bit hard to answer that. Combining it with anything can be "interesting", but apart from Isobel (Dom opal recessive red) I can't think of any "named" phenotypes that use opal.
BioGenBreeds

Post by BioGenBreeds »

:D Glad to see a site where questions can be asked and answered. I'm new to this Pigeon Genetics thing and it is confusing at this point.
I was given 18 Janssen racing homers and joined a small racing club and will be given about 20 more by club members, but my main interest is in seeing what kinds of varieties can be bred from what I have and then keeping the statistics to see if a certain variety gets better time. Pretty neat you getting birds from MIke's loft.
jmarley3 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:24 pm Ok thanks. So if I pair the tiger grizzle with a blue checker I have Do I get more tiger grizzle? Or do I need to pair it with a black bird that I have? Also the dominant opal birds should not be paired together right? And what interesting colors can be had by using the opal birds? Sorry so many questions. I'm hoping to figure out this stuff someday. The opals came from Mike Tysons loft so that's kind of cool. Anyways thanks