INDIGO COLOR and gene

General discussion about pigeon genetics
shahadat

INDIGO COLOR and gene

Post by shahadat »

My question is,
How do I make or produce a indigo color pigeon????
Please answer
HomeSweetHome

Re: INDIGO COLOR and gene

Post by HomeSweetHome »

From another indigo pigeon.
FB15E78D-C16A-4BE6-BFC3-1B2CA5CD5C24.jpeg
C6755362-7BC0-46E9-A0FC-6611ECB4B4F9.jpeg
HomeSweetHome

Post by HomeSweetHome »

AdamArcher
Site Admin

Post by AdamArcher »

Indigo is an autosomal dominant mutation. This means that only one parent of either sex needs to carry the mutant gene for it to express in the next generation, but it must be carried by at least one parent. Two non-indigos cannot create an indigo. Unless it is hidden by another modifier, a pigeon not expressing this trait will not pass it onto its children.

https://www.pigeongenetics.com/wiki/index.php/Indigo
alexbreeze

Post by alexbreeze »

Just reviewed this post thread. I watched the Adam Archer Indigo genetics video and was really intrigued by it. I saw that there are some breeders that have added Indigo to Dominant Opal. Theoretically could you produce an Indigo or Andalusian recessive opal also?
AdamArcher
Site Admin

Post by AdamArcher »

Yes, some people call Andalusian plus opal "opalusian".

You can stack as many modifiers on top of each other as you want really!
alexbreeze

Post by alexbreeze »

Interesting. I tried reading up on the variations between the different opal and indigo varieties. Personally I wasnt a huge fan of Homozygous Indigo without spread but I did find the Homozygous Andalusians very appealing (Since I originally come from the reptile hobby and their genetics I call them Super Andalusians) I wonder what a recessive Super Opalusian would look like?🤷‍♂️
AdamArcher
Site Admin

Post by AdamArcher »

Dominant opal is lethal when homozygous, so they can't exist unfortunately!

I also bred reptiles as a teen, I'm planning on trying to bring some more reptile genetic jargon into pigeon genetics .. like "het percentages" etc.
alexbreeze

Post by alexbreeze »

Right I think using the "Super" idea for Homozygous in co-dominant mutations helps clear up a lot of the confusion especially considering how different "Super" Andalusian is from regular Andalusian. I've never seen a recessive Opal + Homozygous Andalusian, though in your video on Indigos you showed a few pictures of a Dominant Opal-Heterozygous Andalusian. In what ways would a recessive Opal+Homozygous andalusian be different from a regular recessive opal or Homozygous Andalusian? Would it be worth producing
AdamArcher
Site Admin

Post by AdamArcher »

Oh you mean homozygous rec opal, homozygous indigo, and spread? I don't actually know what that would look like. I've got the ingredients here, maybe I should give it a go!