Bird colors

Post pictures of birds you need identified here!
jmarley3

Bird colors

Post by jmarley3 »

Hello everyone. I'm getting back into pigeons after a 20 year break. A tornado destroyed my loft all those years ago and I lost about 25 roller pigeons.
I've gotten a few birds from a new friend of mine who has had pigeons for years. I've been watching them grow and progress into some decent rollers. There are a couple standout birds that I'm really excited about. However I dont really have any plans to compete with them. I really enjoy the birds and am figuring out how I should pair them up based on performance and color. The genetics of it all fascinates me.
I had a question about a couple birds I have and their color. Here are some pics of them. They are not the best quality pics and I didn't even think to look for a tail bar. I can do that later today when I get home.
20210912_200812.jpg
20210912_200826.jpg
AdamArcher
Site Admin

Re: Bird colors

Post by AdamArcher »

Both Smoky, maybe also heterozygous for recessive red. One obviously also has white flights.
jmarley3

Re: Bird colors

Post by jmarley3 »

Ok thanks. And they both do have dark gray/black tail bars. I kinda have a mixed bunch of birds and will probably post some other pics in a day or so. Both of these birds have shown a little more reddish tint to their feathers as the adult feathers grow in. They are both hens as far as I know and both about 5 months old. They are not nest mates. Anyways thanks.