Hello

Nomad

Hello

Post by Nomad »

Hello everyone.

I'm from the US; live in Louisiana and Work in Alaska (from Alaska).

My daughter has been interested in Pigeons so 2 years ago we built a small loft and picked up 5 young pigeons. We planned to breed them and see what the gene pool provided as far as different phenotypes. However, it soon became obvious we somehow had the worst luck and all ended up being male... lol.

Through the learning process we had a couple escape before they were homed to us and a couple that were homed but didn't return one day; we assume they found a wild hen and their natural instinct to mate took over but are unsure. So this led to us picking up a few more birds a couple months ago.

I've been researching everything I can find recently on pigeons and hope to breed some unique birds.

We currently have 5; 1 pied blue check with white flights (male), mated with 1 ash-red check, 1- toy stencil type 2 hen (but carries 3 I'm told - honesty not sure how to identify the stencils very well) mated with, 1 unknown blue based brown grizzledish male, 1 dominate opal male.

The first two hatched their first chicks a week ago and the second pair should be hatching their chicks soon.

Anyways... sorry for the long introduction. Thankful to have found this site.
AdamArcher
Site Admin

Re: Hello

Post by AdamArcher »

Welcome to the forum!
Lotus

Post by Lotus »

Hi Nomad,
Welcome to the forum .... I am a newbie too ..... just signed up a few days ago.
I gather the pigeons u have are racing homers, correct?
Most members in this forum seem to be racing homer breeders wanting to breed different colour varieties of this variety.
I am trying to breed a pigeon with a completely different morphology, using existing fancy breeds of pigeons.
Hope to get acquainted with you.
Cheers!
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Thank you both.

Lotus; yes I have racing Homer's. Luckily for me there are a few people near by that have quality stock to pick from. I currently just have the 5 but their are 4 babies now. One baby is 10 days old, one a week and the other two just hatched. We are excited to finally have baby pigeons in our loft. Good luck with our project.