Howdy from DownUnder

Lotus

Howdy from DownUnder

Post by Lotus »

Hi,
I am Tess Ting, from Western Australia.
I m a novice to genetics, however I have been a keen learner of Mendelian Genetics - into genetics of Budgerigars, Geese, Betta & some Aquarium fish, Poultry (Chicken) and Pigeons.
My understanding of molecular genetics is almost zero but hope to get there some time in the future, when I am more conversant with genetics and molecular chemistry (DNA & RNA in particular).

I came across a very old manuscript many years ago (in the mid 1980s before the digital age) that described an ornamental "Lotus Pigeon" [莲花 鸽子] once found in ancient China - the flare of the large, rounded tail and the large full fan neck hood forming two bowls touching each other like flower petals, and the full head crown (cap? crest? rosette?) forming an inner floret, its rounded body resting low on full long feathered feet that form a circle like the lotus leaf, the overall impression is like a lotus flower resting on its leaf on a lake.
It seems like this "Lotus Pigeon" would have look like a Fantailed Bokhara Trumpeter with a Jacobin's mane & hood on a compact, rounded body.

Based on my limited knowledge and the description above, I am trying to recreate this pigeon from modern breeds.
Any advice, opinion & education from the pigeon fancier community and breeders will be very much appreciated.
Thank you all in advance.
Last edited by Lotus on Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
AdamArcher
Site Admin

Re: Howdy from DownUnder

Post by AdamArcher »

Welcome to the forum 😁
Lotus

Post by Lotus »

AdamArcher wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:37 pm Welcome to the forum 😁
Thank you, Adam.
I had sent you a PM regarding missing information about the genetics of Leg Feathering in the Wiki Section.
However, when I check the Sent Message, there was no trace of the PM, and it seems to have disappeared - that must be due to the poor wifi signal or the poor internet connection from my end.
Cheers !!
AdamArcher
Site Admin

Post by AdamArcher »

I can't see your PM. I haven't had much chance to work on the website at all recently, and I'm considering removing the Wiki format and switching to a more traditional website format (mostly because no one was interested in contributing).

But I haven't decided totally yet and I'm open to suggestions.

Feel free to post about any traits you're interested in here on the forum though, whichever way we go forward, any useful info will be maintained :)