Fighting at change incubation over

Share and discuss your pigeon breeding goals here!
Johannes

Fighting at change incubation over

Post by Johannes »

I’m trying to establish a kit of recessive red tipplers. Supposedly Sheffields. I got hold of one good quality hen and that’s it. She’s paired with a blue bar Bowden cock. Every egg is valuable and tine isn’t a friend. Work to be done. They produce fertile eggs but at cock bird/hen change over they fight the sitting bird doesn’t want to budge. I understand about putting her eggs under another pair but as things are, I’ve not got that luxury.
Any ideas re reducing this aggression? Thank you.
AdamArcher
Site Admin

Re: Fighting at change incubation over

Post by AdamArcher »

That's very odd. Maybe you could artificially incubate the eggs and have false eggs under the pair, swapping the real eggs back in on hatching day? Just to prevent them being smashed during incubation?
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Thanks Adam. I have given two rounds of this pair’s eggs to other birds to rear. I removed the eggs at about the ten day period when fighting starts. Incidentally, do you know if it’s possible to hand rear pigeons from day 1? I was wondering if it’s a problem given the food parents produce for newly hatched chicks.
AdamArcher
Site Admin

Post by AdamArcher »

Yes, it is possible, but I've never done it. I know some wildlife rescue people who do it though.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

The sole hen. Just coming into moult now as have put her in the flight till next season. Will not fly her out as, for me, too valuable. Her last round of eggs hatched under an ancient pair of Hughes tipplers. So I managed to get 3 youngsters from this hen. All cock birds. Will put the best one back to the hen next season.
Attachments
4EB2E181-9818-4487-A7E6-595A8A6DF43A.jpeg