Saddles

General discussion about pigeon genetics
SJG

Saddles

Post by SJG »

Hi,

I'm beginning to breed saddle homing pigeons and am new to pigeon genetics. I wondered if anyone has a good source of information for how saddles are developed? Of all the genetics info I've been able to dig up, there's hardly any mention of saddles.

On a more specific note: I have a pair of saddles I bred from last year that I purchased so don't know the genetics they have. I believe the cock is Ash Red and the Hen is possibly Ash Red with Dilute? I was told that the cock also carried "yellow" so was hoping to get some more yellows. However, so far I've only had red offspring until the last round of the season I got what appears to be a black (blue?) saddle. I assume that indicates that the cock carries blue and it has just been hidden by the ash red until this one. If the hen is indeed ash red, would that also indicate this young black squab is a hen? Sorry, a lot of questions here. Any insight on the genetics of these birds you can gather from the pictures would be appreciated.

Cock
17 NPA 1360.jpg

Hen
20 NPA 410.jpg

Last round of youngsters
IMG_6178.jpg
Steven G
AdamArcher
Site Admin

Re: Saddles

Post by AdamArcher »

This is speaking purely from memory and could very well be wrong - but I think I've read that saddle is a recessive allele at the z-locus. I've never bred them myself though and don't know for sure.

I'd say you're correct about the cock being ash red (likely also spread, dirty, and smoky), and the hen a dilute ash red check. As for the cock "carrying yellow", that would mean he carries dilute. If that is true then you'd expect half his sons when paired to this hen to be dilute. If he doesn't produce dilute sons when paired with this hen then he isn't carrying dilute.

All the sons from the dilute hen are definitely carriers though.

Getting any blue young does indicate the cock carried blue - you an actually also see it by looking at him. Notice the two blue/black feathers on his wing shield? Any/all blue/black young from this pair will be hens too.
SJG

Post by SJG »

Thanks for the quick response and confirming that my basic understanding of the color genetics is right so far. :)

My plan for this next breeding season was to pair that young blue hen with her father once she's old enough to see if I can get more blues. I also was planning to pair the dilute hen with one of her sons to try to get some more of the dilute saddles. I've had 4 or 5 rounds of youngsters from this original pair with no dilutes, so I'm guessing the cock either doesn't carry dilute or the probabilities have just been working against me. Either way, as you said, I am sure her sons will be carrying dilute so hope to have more luck with one of them.

Thanks,
Steven
Steven G
AdamArcher
Site Admin

Post by AdamArcher »

Yep - all correct, sounds like you've got a handle on it all for now ;)