Can female pigeons store sperm for a period of time after mating?

General discussion about pigeon genetics
JoeyMadonna

Can female pigeons store sperm for a period of time after mating?

Post by JoeyMadonna »

I've heard people say hens can hold sperm in their body for months after mating , is this true ?
AdamArcher
Site Admin

Re: Can female pigeons store sperm for a period of time after mating?

Post by AdamArcher »

Yes. According to Owen 1941 (Artificial insemination of pigeons and doves) they can hold sperm for 8 days after mating. I've read another study that said 14 days, but I can't find the reference right now.

To guarantee paternity I'd definitely suggest ensuring your hen has not been in a loft with a cock at least two weeks prior to mating.
JoeyMadonna

Post by JoeyMadonna »

Interesting , thank you .
octavian

Post by octavian »

It happened to me a few years back.... i had a blue indigo Stipper hen that was mated to a rec yellow male, i lost the male when they were with chicks in the nest(they didn't have the feathers grown yet) , she layed eggs after aprox 3 weeks after the male was lost, but she was mated with a show tippler when she layed her eggs....the chicks were of the rec yellow male ...
alexbreeze

Post by alexbreeze »

AdamArcher wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:46 pm Yes. According to Owen 1941 (Artificial insemination of pigeons and doves) they can hold sperm for 8 days after mating. I've read another study that said 14 days, but I can't find the reference right now.

To guarantee paternity I'd definitely suggest ensuring your hen has not been in a loft with a cock at least two weeks prior to mating.
Is there anywhere to find this work on AI for pigeons, I have been interested in using AI in my breeding program but don't know where to start
AdamArcher
Site Admin

Post by AdamArcher »

alexbreeze wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:33 pm
AdamArcher wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:46 pm Yes. According to Owen 1941 (Artificial insemination of pigeons and doves) they can hold sperm for 8 days after mating. I've read another study that said 14 days, but I can't find the reference right now.

Is there anywhere to find this work on AI for pigeons, I have been interested in using AI in my breeding program but don't know where to start
There are Vets in Europe who do it regularly - where are you located?
alexbreeze

Post by alexbreeze »

AdamArcher wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:56 pm
alexbreeze wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:33 pm

There are Vets in Europe who do it regularly - where are you located?
I live in the midwest United States so idk of any vets that can perform it.