Tiger grizzle or grizzle/spread?

Post pictures of birds you need identified here!
Journey

Tiger grizzle or grizzle/spread?

Post by Journey »

I have this hen that was one of the first birds I was given when I started with pigeons last year, so I have no idea what her parents were. She looks like a black tiger grizzle but she has some feathers that are mixed black and white, so I thought she was actually a blue spread with grizzle. However, someone told me she could be split for both tiger and classic grizzle - is this possible?

She also has bronze and dirty genes. No white flight or tail feathers. One of her previous squabs is a bronze grizzle, and she has 2 squabs right now that are only 3 weeks old but so far they look like they'll molt out to look just like her.

Either way I think she's the prettiest bird in my loft.
20230216_161620.jpg
~Journey
AdamArcher
Site Admin

Re: Tiger grizzle or grizzle/spread?

Post by AdamArcher »

It can be notoriously difficult sometimes to tell spread classic grizzles and spread tiger grizzles apart.

I don't believe it has ever been "proven" that classic and tiger are alleles, but the general consensus is they are. If that is true, then yes it would be possible for a pigeon to carry a single copy of both genes and theoretically would partially express both.
octavian

Re: Tiger grizzle or grizzle/spread?

Post by octavian »

AdamArcher wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:00 pm It can be notoriously difficult sometimes to tell spread classic grizzles and spread tiger grizzles apart.

I don't believe it has ever been "proven" that classic and tiger are alleles, but the general consensus is they are. If that is true, then yes it would be possible for a pigeon to carry a single copy of both genes and theoretically would partially express both.
Spread classic grizzles are almost black....some have the grizzle visible only on the belly- they have a few grizzled spots- and on the head(pepperhead phenotype) .... and classic grizzle is never mottled