Colors and heat..

3DLOFT

Colors and heat..

Post by 3DLOFT »

Hey anyone ever thought about using light colored racing pigeons instead because of the heat attraction?
AdamArcher
Site Admin

Re: Colors and heat..

Post by AdamArcher »

I read a study on this years ago. I can't remember their conclusion, but I can't imagine there'd be too much of a difference. Cockatoos and crows both seem to be successful species...
3DLOFT

Post by 3DLOFT »

Ok, I was saying the same thing but then again its proven so any little edge will totally add up to that perfect bird. Im going to buy a thermometer and do some testing I’ll weigh two birds to get a close enough weight , 1 mostly white and the other mostly black and take them on a toss and measure them on return.
AdamArcher
Site Admin

Post by AdamArcher »

Great experiment, I'll look forward to the results.
3DLOFT

Post by 3DLOFT »

So these two are up for the task, 🤞🏼
Attachments
EFADA222-7A92-4633-A9AD-93A21091C186.jpeg
Lotus

Post by Lotus »

3DLOFT wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:57 pm So these two are up for the task, 🤞🏼
Sounds like a great research experiment, 3DLOFT :)
Theoretically, a dark surface absorbs more light & heat from the surrounding than a light surface - so should expect the surface temperature to be higher/warmer in the dark bird.
However, feather is also a very good insulator.

Assuming that the metabolic rate (body heat generation) of both birds are the same, and the physical structure of the feathers are the same (same thickness, same proportion of down feathers, same number of total feathers), then any difference in surface temperature is due to the different heat absorption properties of the different colours.
However, if the metabolic rate of the birds cannot be determined, and the physical feather structures of the birds cannot be accurately factored, then the Heat Retention Capacity of the feathers could be a better indicator for comparison.
[Heat Retention Capacity] = [Body Temperature of the Bird] - [Surface Temperature of the Bird's Feather]

1) Measure each bird's Heat Retention Capacity when they return from their flight.
This gives the Flight Heat Retention Capacity

2) As a control, when both birds are rested and fed, put both birds in a cage out in the sun for about the same duration as their flight time and then remeasure their Heat Retention Capacity.
This will give the Baseline Heat Retention Capacity.

3) Any difference between the Flight Heat Retention Capacity and the Baseline Heat Retention Capacity will give you the Efficacy of the bird's feather.

4) You then compare the Efficacy of Dark Feather versus the Efficacy of Light Feather for statistical significance, or significant difference.

Your experiment results could potentially be top notch material for publication in scientific journals, 3DLOFT ;) :)
3DLOFT

Post by 3DLOFT »

Thanks lotus , I haven’t started yet because of the grizzle . My God that bird has a heap of energy and the blue check is the total opposite lol , but I have some younger ones just incase. So im just waiting now
Lotus

Post by Lotus »

3DLOFT wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:45 am Thanks lotus , I haven’t started yet because of the grizzle . My God that bird has a heap of energy and the blue check is the total opposite lol , but I have some younger ones just incase. So im just waiting now
U r most welcome 3DLOFT :)

In a way, we r in the same boat ..... I hv not started on the Lotus Pigeon yet because I m still reading up about the various genetic traits that control crest, fantail and leg muff in pigeons.
In fact, I have not even got a single pigeon yet ! :lol:
Once I have figured out how to get to the goal, then I shall start to build the housing facilities, and acquire the necessary breeds of birds. :D
3DLOFT

Post by 3DLOFT »

😀 Ok , well I’m here try to train them , keeping them on a strict diet so they eat the same ,fly the same time , even weigh the same because of body fat and heat . Ill get there sometime 😀