"Tumbling and Rolling"

AdamArcher
Site Admin

"Tumbling and Rolling"

Post by AdamArcher » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:57 pm

Axel Sell lists "tumbling and rolling" as a recessive trait with the description: "Tumbling, different styles and degree caused by modifying traits."

Duvin
Egg

Re: "Tumbling and Rolling"

Post by Duvin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:37 pm

I'm sure it is more complex than a recessive trait.

I'm mainly into racing pigeons, but one day this might be an interesting project.

Tumbling and rolling are different, right? One is forward and the other backward?

AdamArcher
Site Admin

Post by AdamArcher » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:29 pm

Honestly, I'm mostly into racing pigeons and the inheritance of colour, too - I haven't kept tumblers since I was a kid.

Interesting quote from the University of Utah site though:
Tumbler pigeons are good flyers, but they have the habit of doing an occasional back flip in mid-flight. Pigeon fanciers say that their birds seem to enjoy these acrobatics. Interestingly, tumbling seems to be rooted not in the shape of the wings or tail, but in brain chemistry. And it's highly heritable: one allele of a single gene is enough to cause a pigeon to tumble. When pigeons are given a type of antidepressant called SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors), they stop tumbling. These drugs work by increasing levels of serotonin, a natural signaling molecule, in the brain. In people, serotonin is active in brain areas that control mood. In pigeons, apparently, too little serotonin makes it hard to fly straight.

Genetics
Egg

Post by Genetics » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:58 pm

And it's highly heritable: one allele of a single gene is enough to cause a pigeon to tumble.
Definitely something that anyone considering using performing tumblers to transfer phenotypes into racing homers should keep in mind!

Duvin
Egg

Post by Duvin » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:37 pm

Heh - the Utah site suggests that it might be a simple dominant trait? Interesting.